December 28, 2003

Nigerian Spam Scam

If you have been following Caren's web log, you know that she sometimes brings attention to the phenomena of Nigerian Spam letters.

Here is an example from Caren's sight:

12/21/2003Today's affirmation, as received in my e-mail:

I have the pleasure to share my testimony with you, having seen your contact from the Internet. I am Barrister David Johnson, the legal adviser to late Mr. and Mrs. Andy Brown, an America couple that lived in my Country Nigeria for 30 years before they both died in the plane crash late last year. These couples were good Christians, they so dedicated their live to God. And as matter of fact, after I sold all their properties, I realized more than $3,800,000.00 (Three million hundred thousand US dollars...I asked God to make his choice and direct me to a honest Christian or the chosen ministry that deserves this fund by his Grace. I then came across your address on the Internet as I was browsing through a Christian site, and as a matter of fact, it is not only you or your ministry that I picked on the Christian site initially, but after my fervent prayer over it, then you were nominated to me through divine revelation from God.


And here is another:

Today's installment from my e-mail:

I am Dr Luisa Pimentel Estrada, the wife of Joseph Ejercito Estrada,former president of Philippines. I have children with my husband Jose, Jacqueline and Jude.Two sons and a daugther.This mail may be coming to you as a surprise or an article but it is very real.I gave the mail to my daugther Jude to send the mail to any contacts she sees and may be a God fearing person will listen to our plight.I will want you as the receiver to read through it and think very well if you can help or render us any assistance. My husband Joseph Ejercito estrada was elected as the 13th President of the Philippines in May 1998 by the people of Philippines due to his popularity in the film industry...the way things are going with us,my husband decided to let me know that he deposited some money with some Banks .These funds are presently deposited in his private Bank accounts, Three in whole, one in Europe,one in Central America and one in the Bahamas and all deposited in our name. The Fund in question is put all together exceed One hundred Million. 45 Million USD deposited with a Bank in Common Wealth of Dominica,30. Million USD with a Trust Company in Europe - and the Bahamas- 35. Million USD. ...I would want us to be in partnership in any good business you may suggest in your country. Please handle this transaction with maturity and sincerity.

Best Regards,
Dr Mrs Luisa P.Ejercito Estrada


Following Caren's lead and in the spirit of keeping the public aware of such scams and schemes to take advantage of our good natures and to rob of us our money, Jon, host of Of Moops and Men published this timely Nigerian Spam Scam letter in his post entitled Have a Happy Nigerian spam scam New Year which follows.

He writes:

Discovered too late for Christmas, but too good not to pass up ... the following comes from the always dependable alt.fan.cecil-adams:

Dear esteemed personage of US residency:

I am writing to you in strictest confidence on a matter of the utmost concern and urgency.


My dear employer, Mr. Santa Claus, who slaved all his life to give away toys to the good and deserving, was tragically ambushed in a sleigh which also crashed over a rooftop and ploughed into a manger display unfortunately killing all the occupants. Luckily, he was prepared for this unfortunate event, having been warned by an elf only two days earlier that this might happen.

He had prepared partly for the transferal of his entire remaining estate of 75 million toys to be placed in the hands of the Rudolph International storage in Toytown, Nigeria. The account requires that for safety, all the toys are transferred as quickly as possible to a UK home garage to prevent the bad children from getting any benefit. (these are the rebels that caused the
ambush).

I need your help, and will give you 35% of the toys, after you pay me $3000 on deposit to help me pay the costs of transferring the toys. I am, you see, destitute since this tragic event ....

Awaiting your reply

Sincerely

Mr. Iman Elf

No comments: