January 12, 2004

A Romantic Story

This morning riding in on the subway, I finished reading a very romantic book called The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. I found myself weeping as I finished the last page. It is one of the more romantic books I've read. It's a simple story (but not really) beautifully told. It's about finding true love and holding on to it until the very end and it's written by a man, from a man's point of view, making the romance just a little bit more special. According to the notes, the author based the story on the romance of his wife's parents.

A little while ago, my sister-in-law gave me a pile of books that my brother and she were trying find new homes for. My brother and his wife share a love of books and in this case they shared that love with me. So far, from that pile, I've read House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III and Mr. Maybe by Jane Green.

Both were good reads, but The Notebook was just perfect.

Other good books I've read within the last year that I would recommend are Carrie Pilby by Caren Lissner (an actual book purchase), the classic 1984 by George Orwell, Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and my favorite from last year's read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I did of course read the newest Harry Potter which I bought because of my love for Harry Potter books, but I mostly read books recommended or given to me by other people.

No comments: