January 17, 2005

Sunday was baby's day in - 1 year old and loving life. Here is a picture of the baby playing. He was pretty much unaware that it was his first birthday or that everyone there was there for him. At one year old, I think he probably would have been happy alone with his parents. A little while after we got there, my nephew's 17 month old cousin from his mother's side showed up. They played nicely with each other for a few minutes and then went back to playing by themselves.

You'll have to believe me when I tell you that he is the cutest thing since the word cute was invented. He has a happy round apple dumpling face with the biggest blue eyes. We are not ready to reveal his image to the public yet . . . maybe when he's a little older.
============================================
Jon and I walked to the Steinway Street station to get to my brother's for the party. We passed one of those boxes that sit on street corners but you never know what they're for. When I was a kid, I would stand near them and listen because it sounded like there was an animal trapped inside, trying to claw it's way out, in need of being rescued. Of course, as an adult, I knew better but remained insanely curious about what was making that noise. Yesterday we passed one of those boxes and it was open. We stopped and looked inside. I finally know the answer. Inside those boxes are timer controls for traffic lights. That's why they are always on street corners and why they are always attached to the pole that suspends the traffic light in the intersection. Have a look for yourself. You can see the timing mechanism in the top left corner and the wiring on the bottom right.

Isn't that like so flippin' cool?!?!?!
============================================
It was nice to visit with the family. There were some people there I haven't seen in a while, like my cousin Sandra who is also one of my dearest friends. She was sweet enough to offer Jon and I a ride home, which we gladly accepted. Sandra came in for a while and had some tea, rounding out our day with a nice visit. I couldn't resist taking our picture at arm's length.

Actually, I took three but I like these two the best. She looks sweet and she is sweet. She is one of the nicest people I know and I am happy to have her in my life.


No comments: