February 01, 2006

February Idol

I can't believe it's already the first day of the second month of the sixth year of the 21st century.
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up this morning with a sore throat, a pain in my left ear and a stuffy nose. The pressure from my sinuses has narrowed my eyes to slits and they burn. But I'm amazingly in a good mood. Calgon. Take me away!!
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
I watched another magnificent episode of American Idollast night. This time the judges went to Las Vegas on their neverending quest for new talent. The producers of the show usually string together clips of bad auditions and show them throughout most of the shows. Last night was no different. We were treated to a couple of nice auditions but for the most part, it was a freak show. I guess that's what the producers think America wants - to see people making fools of themselves so we can feel better about sitting on our couches living vicariously through others.

I wish they would get back to sharing the good auditions with the viewer because watching people sing badly isn't really that enjoyable. And I certainly don't relish watching people come under attack although last night Simon's rude utterances seemed limited to an occasional positive remark or simply stated dismissals.

It could be because the show has been coming under fire lately for being homophobic or anti-gay. This proves to me that the show is entirely molded by public opinion. Add this to the large number of bad auditions shown and you get what was shown last night. We'll see how it goes in Texas tonight but I have a feeling it will be the same. Simon's comments will be limited to yays or nays and most of the attitude will probably come from the wanna-be's.
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
My commute this morning was almost perfect. I let a train pass because it was too crowded and a less crowded one showed up seconds later. This plan sometimes backfires with another train not following for 10 or 15 minutes but this morning it went smoothly. There were plenty of seats and lots of room - which is why I was baffled when a young woman sat so close to me, her arm left arm was resting underneath my right one. I didn't feel like moving so I just sat there and stewed secretly wondering why, with all that room, she had to sit so close to me. I'll never understand why some people need to be so close to others. It makes me so nervous.

No comments: