February 26, 2006

Don Knotts - Dead at 81

Don Knotts died. He was 81 years old at the time of his passing.

My earliest recollection of seeing Don Knotts on screen was in the Disney film, The Apple Dumpling Gang of 1975 in which he shared top billing with Tim Conway. It may even have been one of the first movies I'd seen in a theater.

Gosh. As much as I remember seeing him in that movie, I hardly remember the movie itself. My only specific memory is of him wearing suspenders, standing in a mine with dirt on his face. Other big actors starring in that film were Harry Morgan, Colonel Potter from M*A*S*H and Bill Bixby - the greatest actor who ever lived.

Don Knotts was a funny guy. He was another one of those great character actors that used his seemingly negative traits - knobby knees, buggy eyes, squeeky voice - and turned them into advantages in a long and busy acting career. He was funny and lovable and any time I saw him working on TV it always made me happy to see him working.

Everybody pretty much loves Don Knotts. I don't know anybody that doesn't. How could you not like him? He was great!!

He even had his own website where he took the time to acknowlege his fans and share himself with people and casting directors I guess. On the site, he listed his resume and links to fan sites. It's a pretty good resource if you're interested in learning more about him.

No comments: