February 10, 2005

Reelin' in the Days

Here is stuff about some things you should know:

Tuesday night I played Tuesday NightTrivia. My friend and a co-worker K.F. was a welcome addition to the team which consisted of T.A.B., Vidiot and B., and Erik and of course me. We named our team LOSE LIKE AN EAGLE, to honor the losing Super Bowl team and we did. Caren, who did a great job of hosting, pointed out that we "lost like an EAGLE" because we came in second. I keep telling myself there is no shame in coming in second, we still finished in the money, but I don't know if I can stand for that next week.

Last night I went to the gym directly from work. I am determined to lose weight and tone up and feel better. I set out to do exactly what I did on Monday. I just wanted to walk briskly on the treadmill for 35 minutes or so. But 5 minutes into last night's treadmill routine, my shins were aching. After 15 minutes, I had to stop. I was so mad and frustrated. How am I going to do the high impact aerobic exercise necessary to lose weight if my body won't cooperate. I angrily submitted to my weakness and peddled furiously on one of those gym bikes. I focused all of that frustration and anger into the peddles. By the time I was done, I was crimson red and sweating hard. People were looking at me with alarm as they often do when I exercise. My face always turns deep red. If you've never seen that happen to someone before, it could be pretty upsetting. But my heart rate was fine. My target rate is 167 and last night it didn't go above 148.

I felt better when it was all done. The frustration left through the opening I provided - my peddling feet - and the steaming hot bath I took later finished the job. I slept really well last night.

It's true. Exercise does make you feel better.

No comments: