December 26, 2004

Sunday in the Park with Jon

Jon and I went to Flushing Meadow Park to see the Unisphere and the panaroma of New York City at the Queens Museum of Art.

I love cold weather. Today was no exception, but was it really cold? One could argue that 30 something degrees with cold winds is cold. I agree, but find this kind of cold weather bearable if bundled up correctly, which I was. I've been to see the Unisphere before but not photographed it. Here is shot taken from directly underneath the center.

After fooling around in the park for a little while, Jon and I went into the Queens Museum of Art to see the much touted panaroma of New York City. It's alright. It's actually pretty incredible if you think about all the work they did and do to make sure that thing is accurate. All buildings in the five boroughs seemed to be represented in miniature however, it was impossible to photograph. After a non-tantalizing hour in the museum looking at the non-impressive collection of art we decided to head home but when we walked out of the museum the sun was setting in a most spectacular way. So, I immediately ran to the other side of the unisphere so I could get a picture of it with the sunset in the background and took this and several other shots. I think this one is the best.

There is nothing like seeing New York City through the eyes of a tourist while living in New York City. I wonder if there's a name for that.

Anyway, we headed home through the now painfully cold winter air. Actually, we were headed for a great restaurant called Gowasabi in Astoria. GoWasabi is a delightful little Japanese restaurant that opened about a year ago and we absolutely adore the food there. The decor is nice as well.

Here are two shots of their sushi bar - one with the flash and one without.
You can see Jon enjoying his meal in the one with the flash.

No comments: