June 23, 2004

Subway Tales

Tonight, when I got out of work, I stopped by Jon's office to bring him a cup of coffee. He works nights as a copy editor for the New York Post.

It was five minutes well spent. I handed him his coffee and he gave me a hug.

Then I went back to the subway.

And I waited and I waited and I waited.

Then my train pulled up but there were so many people waiting the train was too crowded before I even got to the door, so I didn't get on and I waited some more.

Another crowd started to gather.

We were all getting a little impatient when an announcement came over the loudspeaker.

"Due to delays, there is an R train approaching 42nd Street."

I was at 49th street so this was a good announcement. Although the R train isn't my train, this meant that a good part of the crowd would get on and there would be room for me on my own.

Well, the R train came and went, right through the station without stopping.

An N train came by and stopped, took in most of the crowd but even though that train was going to Astoria I decided to wait a few more minutes to see what came next.

Two minutes later, a W train pulled into the station and I got on. Most of the crowd had boarded the previous train so this train was relatively empty.

I sat with my eyes closed until my stop in Astoria.

The end.

No comments: