March 24, 2006

End of the Week

This is the end of a long and boring week. Being a lameduck employee has its disadvantages along with its plusses. On the plus side, I am counting down the time until I start my other gig. On the down side, my work load is small leading to hours of boring, boring, boring. The last day of the month is moving day for my current job. So my last day of work is going to be the busiest and most stressful of all the days I've worked here to date. I'm waiting for our boxes so I can start packing.

I tried to get us out of our Verizon contract so we could switch to a new vendor but we're locked into a contract because I chosed Centrix lines to save the company money. So I've coordinated Verizon and the company that handles our phone system to install and move the phones simultaneous to the uber move.

Here are the stresses of that day. The building we're in now operates the freight elevator between 9 and 12 and then 1 and 5:30. The building we're moving to operates their freight elevator between 9 and 4. So. . .do you see the problem? No room for error. Other stresses include mostly glass furniture which has to be disassembled and reassembled; computers which have to be packed with all of their own specific wires and attachments; and a general disconnected feeling between me and doing a good job.

That day is also a pay day. So I'm thinking of asking for my check the night before just to be sure it doesn't get forgotten about the day of the move but I hate asking for my check which is usually how I've had to get it here - by reminding my boss that it's payday. It really sucks to ask for your check. It's like begging or something.

No comments: