August 31, 2004

The Weekend Was

The weekend was great. Friday night I did something I haven't done in years. I did something I forgot I even knew how to do. I went swimming. I was reminded that I know how to swim at the beach a week ago Sunday. The ocean was beautiful that day. No seaweed, no jellyfish, no dangerous shells in the soft sand beneath my feet. There were crabs in the soft sand but no shells to jab and cut. Once you got past the breakers, about chest deep, the ocean was smooth and calm. While wading through and diving into swells I started to remember my swimming lessons from childhood and then waves of memories flooded over me from the time I trained with the swim team during my first period gym class in my senior year of high school.

All of a sudden, I was swimming free style. I was then seized by the idea of starting to swim at the pool. The idea stayed with me the whole week, building and brewing until this past Friday. I was so worked up that I couldn't even walk to the pool which is about a 15 minute walk from my house. I took a car service.

I live near the Astoria Sports Complex.

to be continued . . .

No comments: