November 17, 2003

A Heaping Pile of Love

Saturday night, Jon and I saw the movie Love Actually which I have retitled Love Actually Stinks. (ha)

The movie disappointed me on so many levels. For weeks, I have been looking forward to seeing the romantic comedy which stars Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Laura Linney, Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Liam Neesan and other English actors I'm not that familiar with.

The movie was a series of vignettes about love. These vignettes were glimpses into the lives of several couples which all seemed to be linked by the Arrivals gate at Heathrow. There was so little character development I didn't really care what happened to anybody and there were so many stories I didn't really have time to care.

What a collasal waste of talent. Can you imagine? You are directing a film and two of your stars are Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson. Wouldn't that be good enough for you? The two of them alone could have carried the whole movie...but noooooooooo. The greedy director had to show off all of the talent that was willing to work with him, cramming them all into this painfully slow wannabe romantic comedy,so much so, that nothing about the movie worked and nobody's talents came through. There were no discoveries of new talent because showcasing talent didn't even seem be to an issue for this director. (talent, talent, TALENT) The NY Times printed a review which perfectly captured the badness of this film however I can't link to it because my log-in perpetually has problems and I can't log into that page.

I'll conclude by saying these three things. I'm angry at the director of this film for wasting my time with this heaping pile of monkey love; I was so bored I didn't even want to stay for the credits because I couldn't wait to get out of the theater; and finally, do not pay 10 dollars to see this movie.

No comments: