November 04, 2003

Day 2

Day 1 was a tough day being Monday and all. Not smoking proved extremely challenging and when I walked out of the building at the end of the day, I went to the drug store and bought a pack. I smoked 3 cigarettes last night.

Day 2 was not such a tough day but my body started aching for the goddess nicotine and I smoked 2 cigarettes when I walked out of the building, walking toward the West Village, walking to meet my cousin for sushi, and then walking to Tuesday Night trivia.

So, it's not the cigarette with coffee that I miss, nor the one most people enjoy after a meal. The cigarette I miss and will miss the most is the one you smoke after completing a satisfying day of work. The one you smoke when you walk out the door at the end of the day and feel that blast of fresh air that tells you you made it through another day of work.

I call it the accomplishment cigarette;the one you smoke after cleaning your house, after baking a cake, after drawing a picture or writing a thing. This probably sounds like a ritual to you and if it does you're right. It is my ritual to celebrate the end of a project in a small way and that small way has become smoking a cigarette.

Maybe, I'll replace smoking with situps. That wouldn't work either though really because then I would want a cigarette after doing situps.

Well......that was day 2, for what it's worth.


No comments: