October 26, 2003

A Familiar Familial Obligation

Saturday.

What can I say? I've joined the ranks of people who can call themselves aunt or uncle.

My sister-in-law is pregnant with my nephew and he will be born in January. What was once a foreign experience I've heard others enjoy is now going to be part of my daily life.

Saturday.

I went with my mother, my brother and his wife to register for baby gifts. First we went to BuyBuy Baby in Westbury, I think. It's near the Levitts, that' near Nassau Colliseum. We registered for everything from diaper pails to onesies. Then we all took a break for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory in the Fortunoff's relatively new shopping mall. After we went to Babies 'R' Us.

I have to say that in spite of the work like hours (10 - 5) we all invested in this effort, it was time well spent. There were babies all over the place which I always find enjoyable and the experience was both fun and educational.

It was the most fun day. But I earned my sleep last night. I was pretty exhausted by the time I got home. So much so, I stayed in last night (yes on Saturday night) and went to bed at 10 pm. I have a vague recollection of someone calling me after I fell out and telling me turn back my clock which I must have done because my clock is properly set to reflect my favorite time of year. That would be the day that we get an extra hour of life.

Anyway, today I'm going to play the tourist which is a good game to play when one lives in New York City. Central Park, Metropolitan Museum of Art and who knows what else the day will bring.

I've been looking forward to this weekend all week. Half of it turned out fantastic and I anticpate the other half will be just as great.

Isn't it great to be alive?

No comments: