September 03, 2006

Sweeney Todd - Final Day

Show number one for the day is finished, done, kaput. The cast was teary eyed during the warmup before the show but managed to keep it together for the second to last performance. The ushers have been talking (some grumbling) about the fact that they weren't invited to the cast party. The producer didn't invite anyone that works for the house and by house I mean theater. Apparently that's unusual.

They attribute their not being invited to the fact that the show's producer is throwing the party as opposed to who else, I'm not quite sure. By mentioning this fact, I'm assuming they think that the producer is too cheap to invite the theater's staff.

I don't know what to think.

I've been in many houses where the ushers have an inflated view of their importance, actually considering themselves to be equal to the writers, directors and/or cast of whatever show is playing in their theater. I'm not saying that this is the case with this show. If anything the staff is very often in awe of the performers and speak about them with great respect.

I think there are some hurt feelings. I've worked at this theater a lot and the cast is very nice. I've witnessed several cast/house staff conversations behind the scenes. I would even go as far as to say that the cast is friends with people working the house. So this is more of a case of hurt feelings than of over inflated egos. This theater has one of the nicest staffs of all the theaters I've worked at. This is not to say that they are perfect or that all their social graces are in tact. But as opposed to other theaters where I work, the ushers are quite approachable and even friendly.

It does seem odd that the producers of the show would exclude the people who helped his show run smoothly. But then again, I haven't spoken with him so I really can't judge. It's possible that the cast isn't as excited to hang out with the ushers as the ushers are to hang out with the cast. I don't blame them. Sometimes talent is as talent does and with whom talent hangs out. And there does sometimes appear to be a huge gaping gulf in their commonality.

I'm looking forward to the final performance. If you've never seen a final show, it can get pretty emotional. And usually the cast let it all hang loose and perform their parts like they've always wanted to as opposed to how they were directed.

We'll see how it goes tonight.

I imagine there will be some tears.

No comments: