April 23, 2006

Three Days of Rain - Premier

I was working at the Imperial Theater the night that Three Days of Rain premiered across the street at the Jacobs Theater. Three Days of Rain stars Paul Rudd, some other guy and Julia Roberts in her Broadway debut. As you can imagine, the scene was complete chaos. People were losing their minds for a glimpse of Julia Roberts. Here is a shot of the Jacobs as the stars made their wait out of the stage entrance after the premier. If you look closely you can see a black SUV parked by the stage door amidst the crowd in which takes Ms. Roberts home every night.
Julia's Premier

And here is the rainy scene three days later. You can see Julia's SUV more clearly but not as many people. In all fairness, I did take this shot an hour before the play was scheduled to go on, but I thought it was an interesting contrast to the madness of three days earlier.
Julia  - 3 days later

I have to admit I'm pretty excited to be working this show all next week. It's even more exciting than when I worked on Long Days Journey Into Night and that show had FOUR big stars in it. There's something about her star power that transcends reasonable expecations of her as a human being. I think critics were expecting her to give a TONY winning performance in her Broadway debut not thinking that she might actually have to practice live theater for a while before actually getting good at it.

Any way, I'll be sure to let you know what I think as soon as I have an opinion that can be expressed in 200 words or less.

No comments: