April 20, 2006

Love is My Legs

This week I'm working on the show Dirty Rotten Scoundrels which is very funny.

Jonathan Pryce (you may remember him as Al Pacino's pigeon in Glenn Gary Glenn Ross) took over the role originated by John Lithgow and seems to be doing a great job.

The show also stars the very familiar Joanna Gleason, who I know so well, but couldn't tell you one thing she's ever done. I just know her. She's exceptionally good - truly a triple threat.

The story line is the same as the movie made famous by Michael Caine and Steve Martin. I didn't find the movie all that funny. Amazingly though, I find the play INCREDIBLY funny. It's mainly due to the comical performances of Rachel York as Christine Colgate, the young naive pigeon who becomes the subject of a cruel bet; Mylinda Hull as Jolene Oakes, Oklahoman heiress to a huge oil fortune; and Norbert Leo Butz as Freddy, the young flimflam man in training to be the most successful conman in the world.

His performance has been consistently funny two shows in a row. I'll see how he does tonight but this guy's got it. He could burp on stage and people would laugh. He's just a funny guy.

And of course, everyone sings, dances and acts amazingly.

No comments: