April 21, 2006

Knock This Battery Off My Shoulder - I Dare Ya'

I forgot to tell you that I saw Robert Conrad at the theater Wednesday night. A lot of you probably don't know who he is, but I sure do. He was a big time TV actor for a long time, most famous for playing Jim West in The Wild, Wild West. He had a real tough guy image, so tough in fact that in the 70's he did a TV commercial where he dared viewers to knock a battery off his shoulder, which is probably the second thing he is most famous for.

He looked very old - older than 71 years of age. His white hair was thin and whispy. He's still tall and handsome but he's not young anymore. His posture is still good but he was doing the "old man shuffle" when he walked. I was very excited to see him. It's always exciting to spot a celebrity especially one that's been out of the lime light for a while.
-------------------------------------------
Last night (4/19/06), across the street from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, the play Three Days of Rain premiered. When I got to the evening show at 7, there were crowds of people hovering around the Jacob Theatre - news crews, boom mikes and cameras. Why? Because Julia Roberts is the *STAR*. Before the show crowds gathered to watch who was coming into the theater. After the show, they were crowding around to see Ms. Roberts exit the theater via the stage door. It was madness. The show didn't receive very good reviews.

I'm working the show next week.
----------------------------------------
They've been shooting a movie in Time Square late nights. It makes leaving the theaters a nightmare as I make my way through motionless crowds of hypnotized tourist. They've never seen a camera man in a cherry picker before. I should be more understanding and bring my elbows in more while I pushy my way through the.

New Yorkers are jaded to things like movie star trailers and enormous, crowd blocking film equipment that makedaily commuting nightmarish.

NO MORE FILM SHOOTS, TV SHOOTS OR COMMERCIAL SHOOTS IN NEW YORK CITY PLEASE. I think enough people know about us by now.

No comments: