August 31, 2005

Katrina and the Wave of Looting

The recent stories of looting, coming out New Orleans, in the aftermath of Katrina, are upsetting but not surprising. People are freaked out. I know there are people taking advantage of the situation by stealing things they could never afford, but I've also read that people are scavenging for supplies. Their whole world has been devastated. Have you seen the pictures of New Orleans? But can't you really be judgemental of people that are looting grocery stores to feed their families; that don't necessarily understand what's going on; that haven't been contacted regarding relief; that don't know where they are going to move; that are grief stricken because their homes have been destroyed; that have no electricity?
bilde
We're not there. We can understand from the comfort of our dry homes the images we see on our televisions - that New Orleans suffered great damage but we can't really understand what it's like to go through such complete devastation. I know I can't. I haven't experienced anything remotely close to that on the physical level. We don't know how we would behave or I guess most of don't know.

If my hypothetical children needed some food, water and dry clothes and relief wasn't coming fast enough I would have to find a way to get some. However, If my friend needed a television they would be shit out of luck.

Food, provisions, dry sundries - YES.
Electronics - NO.

No comments: