August 05, 2005

Day of the Triffids

Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince was a good book. I finished in about five days and that's no small feat considering I was reading it mostly only during my commutes to and from work.

After a two day wait, following the end of HP, I picked up a memoir I had been reading before HP's arrival - Growing Up by Russell Baker. While charming it wasn't holding my attention. I didn't know what I was going to do.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comUntil two days ago - when Jon brought me a great book from the library. The book is called Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham and it's an absolutely brilliant piece of 1950's science fiction. When I was kid, every now and then the movie based on the book would play on television and this movie was the kind a kid like me would find utterly fascinating. It was about the Earth being taken over by enormous walking plants after the planet's inhabitants had been mysteriously blinded by a meteor shower. I remember this movie as being fantastic but I think others categorize it as some kind of "B" horror movie. The movie tells the story a little bit differently than the book and I can already see the book is better.

If you are looking to buy the film Day of the Triffids, it's very expensive but it's worth it. If you're looking to read the book, you can get it free at your local library.

No comments: