August 09, 2006

Why I Didn't Post Last Week

Some of my regular readers have commented in emails and phone calls that they were worried about me because of my lack of postings over last week. There's a simple reason for that. I just didn't feel like it. It's not like I didn't have anything to write about. I just didn't feel like it.

Why?

To tell you the truth, I was pretty bored last week, the week of The Heatwave. My job sent me to work The Lion King at the Minskoff Theater. I'm not going to say the show is bad but I will say that it is not the show for me. I was so bored that I didn't even want to sit in the empty theater and watch what happens before and behind the scenes like I usually do. Most of the time, I just found myself sitting by my booth either reading or wandering around the lobby.

The lobby is pretty amazing. Closed in entirely by glass, people can look down on Broadway between 44th and 45th Street, up to 47th St. and down to 42nd St.

Here's the view looking uptown.
Times Square 2
Looks pretty crowded right? Well it is. And it is those crowds about which I have written so often. Trying to get through those crowds is difficult as all get out. Eventually you just give up on pushing, and shuffle along with the rest of the buffalos.

Here's a closer look at the crowded corner of 45th of Broadway.
45th and Bway
On any given day the northwest corner, specifically, smells like horse piss. I'm not exactly sure why.

You'll also note from the first photo how brightly lit was Times Square during the week of the heatwave; the week when over 20,000 customers in northwestern Queens were without power; the week when Mayor Bloomberg asked that people limit their power use. During all that, the lights of Times Square burned brightly while people were losing power in Westchester, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, parts of Manhattan and part of New Jersey.

Did anyone ask the operators of those brilliant neonic and metallic monoliths to conserve power? NO. The answer is obviously NO.

No comments: