May 21, 2005

Sad Day for Saddam

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That picture of Saddam Hussein in his underwear almost made me feel sorry for him. Almost. Showing those pictures are an invasion of his privacy. It is my understanding that there is going to be an investigation into who leaked those photos to The Sun. But honestly, is there really a need? I'm guessing that this was done under some directive to show a defeated Saddam in order to lower the morale of the continuously rising insurgency - both the taking of the photos and their release to press.

"But wait" you say, "Doesn't that fly in the face of the Geneva Convention rules on the humane treatment of prisoners of war?" Yes. It does. The conventions say countries must protect prisoners of war in their custody from "public curiosity".

It is probably the same directive that allowed those photos released from the Abu Grahib prison and that also made sure those soldiers thoroughly and completely humiliated the prisoners there. Soldiers aren't known for their creative thinking. They are broken down in boot camp and rebuilt to follow orders without question.

Am I suggesting that the US military is somehow behind this? I am actually although I'm not sure how something like this would be done, I think somehow they are doing this. Could I back any of this up? I don't know. . . but I don't necessarily disagree with it.

No comments: