January 24, 2006

Big Mommas House 2

I was relaxing into my Tuesday night routine of surfing blogs and watching American Idol when all of a sudden a commercial came on the air that stopped me dead in my tracks. It was a promo for Big Momma's House 2 starring Martin Lawrence and his fat suit. This latest development in cheezy entertainment leads me to wonder:

Was the first movie REALLY so successful that there needed to be a sequel? Perhaps there was just so much story to tell that it just couldn't go untold any longer. How many chances is Hollywood going to give Martin Lawrence? Aren't there other young, funny black actors who would like a chance at a leading role? Does Hollywood always have to gamble on Martin Lawrence? What is his appeal? Who is his audience? Why does he keep getting work?

No comments: