September 12, 2003

John Ritter

While I have read several touching tributes to Johnny Cash, all deserved, I haven't seen too much about John Ritter.

Now, I know many people think that Three's Company was a "really, really stupid" show, but at the time it was pretty cutting edge. He was very good at physical comedy. Nobody could fall down like him. Well, maybe except Dick Van Dyke who may have been a little better at the fumbling, but I'm sure he inspired the future antics and hysterical entrances of Michael Richards as Kramer on Seinfeld.

I had an opportunity to see John Ritter on Broadway in The Dinner Party where he co-starred alongside his good friend Henry Winkler. They were both very good. He also has an enormous filmography (courtesy of the IMDB), which includes the movies Sling Blade and Noises Off. He was always working and for an actor, whose job it is to act, that's pretty good.

I have a lot of respect for the man and he died working which I guess for an actor is not a bad way to go.

So, when you are all remembering Johnny Cash, remember that it could be argued that John Ritter was to sitcom television what Johnny Cash was to music.

And I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm serious.

No comments: