November 24, 2004

Tuesday Night Trivia

Last night, I went to Tuesday Night Trivia, for the first time in weeks. Our team name was Now playing Center for the Pistons, Sponge Bob Square Pants. We finished in fourth place. Our prize was getting to play as a team.

My team consisted of Bob plus 3 friends who for now shall remain nameless, Sarah and Mr. and Mrs. A. We had fun when we could hear each other. As nice as it was to play with my team I was very uncomfortable because the bar was uncharacteristically loud - so freakin' loud. We couldn't hear each other before, between rounds or afterwards. It was also very hot. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of being in a very crowded, small space. Most people aren't. So, the crowd, the heat, the noise all produced a very uncomfortable Val.

The game itself was well planned. Caren hosted with Barry. Barry's general knowledge round centered on turn of the century trivia, 8 out of 10. Instead of a top ten list, Barry had us match famous sex quotes with their owners. That was quite challenging. Barry's audio round consisted of songs that he thought were weird. I think we scored about five out of 10 on that one. My favorite round was the visual one, designed by Caren. In honor of Thanksgiving, she produced copies of a Chinese Restaurant menu with 10 words blacked out from either the name of the dish or the dish's description. We scored about 8 out of 10 on that.

In spite of our best efforts, we still only placed fourth, but that's okay. My teams have had pretty good winning streak there for a while. I guess it's only fair to spread the joy. And any opportunity to hang out with friends should be taken advantage of.

I'd like to send a public thank you to the hosts of the dinner I attended late last night. You know who you are. It was a pleasure to see both of you and I hope you have a good time watching the Thanksgiving Day parade with your beloved from the office of our mutual friend.

No comments: