November 30, 2004

Smoking Update

I am going to confess that my break from cigarette smoking hasn't been 100% clean. On Saturday night, I smoked a cigarette with one of our party guests. And maybe a week before that I had smoked with the same person. Before that, it was months that I went without.

The cravings and mood swings have disappeared. The only bad thing I that's come from the smoking is some weight gain. But I don't mind because I generally feel better all around. It's a pleasure to experience breathing through non-irritated sinuses. My complexion has improved in that I look healthier. I don't cough up gunk every time I go into the shower.

It's hard to quit. The way I did it, cold turkey, is the hardest way to quit physically, but psychologically it is the best was to do it.

Here is why. I started thinking that people are not naturally smokers. So therefore, it is unnatural for me to be smoking. I put myself in the mindset that I am not a smoker, so it would be silly to smoke. Eventually, my body started to believe it as well. And when I catch a whiff of someone else's cigarette now, with an occassional exception, the smell makes me sick to my stomach.

My advice is to quit. There is never a good time to do it, you just have to do it.

No comments: