May 30, 2006

May's End (cont'd)

Sunday, after my final performance of Awake and Sing! I pushed my way through the Broadway crowds and an impromptu street fair on 7th Avenue in order to get to the New York Sheraton, where Jon and his parents were waiting for me. We had all arranged to meet Jon's cousin and his wife for dinner and evening stroll up 5th Avenue.

We ate dinner at a Korean restaurant on 32nd and Broadway - table BBQ. It was divine and a big hit as most of the people at the table had never eaten it before. It's always exciting when you can turn people on to new things. We ate shrimp and beef and whatever side dishes the restaurant would give us. That's the thing with Korean restaurants - lots of free side dishes.

After dinner we wenned our way up 5th to Rockefeller Center. I was happy to see that the skating rink was finally converted back to a restaurant. Believe it or not, it was still a skating rink as of the beginning of May.

Here's mom with Dave's wife Mary posing in front of Apollo and the dancing waters.
Mom and Mary

Here I am with my father-in-law.
Val and Dad

And here's Jon with cousin Dave and his father.
Blackwell Men

Dave and Mary are visiting from Texas. So, guess where we'll probably be going on vacation some time in the near future. Yes. That's right. Texas. We have an invitation to come down any time we like.

So that was all Sunday night.

Monday, we gathered everyone for a visit to the Museum of Modern Art.

ChagallWhat can one say about MOMA? It's a great museum with an impressive collection. Chagall, Picasso, Monet, de Chirico - they've got it all. And we saw a lot of it. Two hours is enough to see most but not everything. I always want to see as much as possible when I go there because the admission is a ridiculous $20.00 per person but you can really only see so much. With a museum like the Metropolitan Museum of Art where the price of admission is left up to the patron, you can pay less and visit more and spend more time in each section rather than rush through to see everything whic you can't do anyway.

Egg ShellsBack to the MOMA, every time I go I discover something new like this cabinet full of egg shells. I'm not sure what it's called but probably "cabinet full of egg shells" or something like that. I like this piece and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe because it's simple or quiet or ironic or something. I don't know.

But it does have a soothing effect on the eye. We had a nice time. I love how when you go to a museum with a group of people, you keep splitting up and meeting up over and over until finally somebody makes a big break and then ultimately calls have to be made and message left and directions given in order to find each other. As a group we did very, very well.

It took about 2 hours for two of our group to break off and not be found again until we met up later for gelato in the scuplture garden.

After a late afternoon nap we all met up later for dinner at a great Greek restaurant on 44th between 6th and 5th. Very good. Go there soon.

Here are a couple of my favorite paintings in the museum.
de chirico 3 de Chirico

And here are some other images from MOMA.
Dad in Moma
Coral Mirror
Jon and Picasso

No comments: