May 03, 2008

Already May?

I can't believe it's May already. How does time creep by while simultaneously passing quickly? I marvel at my paperwork on the job everytime I have to write down the date, April 29, April 30? How do these days sneak up on me at such a snail like pace?

It's Saturday and I'm working at Spring Awakening. Again. Most of the week, I've been able to find a seat and enjoy the show. Today, there were seats available in the mezzanine but I decided to pace myself for the day. Instead, I read a book called The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. I've read enough Patterson to know that books from his Alex Cross series are the best. The detective is interesting and somehow his formula always works for me. There was one other detective of his, I think the detective from Black Market - retitled Black Friday - that I really liked but he never followed up with him. I think he was wheel chair bound and that was definitely an interesting point view.

The Big Bad Wolf is the first book I've looked at since my vacational reading of Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs. Funny story about this book, it wasn't until Jon read it that i noticed the had on the cover has six fingers. That was quite a while ago.

I have a friend who is reading as many books as possible this year. I wish I were more like her. But what ends up happening with me is that if I read too many books, they all become blurred together and I lose the book in a fog of storylines and character arcs. I like to live with a book after I read it. So I don't forget it. My brain's storage capacity is not as infinite as I would like sometimes.

The next book I'm going to read is one I read about at Books Galore - THE ALMOST MOON by Alice Sebold. It's been a while since I've read The Lovely Bones, also by Sebold, but I remember that book as being really, really great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must recommend 'Boy's Life' by Robert McCammon. If you haven't read it you should...

and any of Neil Gaiman's novels (Neverwhere, Stardust (you may have seen the movie too), American Gods, etc.) are good reads.

T.A.B. said...

I've just downloaded The Almost Moon to my Smartphone. Now I need the time to sit and read it.

I'm sorry you weren't working The Little Mermaid this past weekend. It would have been nice to see you.

About Me said...

I probably wouldn't work that show. I don't push the translator apparati.

AddledWriter said...

I can't even find books I like...but that's lame of me. I need to be more forgiving. Anyway, one day read the memoir At Home in the World by Joyce Maynard. Amazing stuff!!!! She lived w/Salinger when she was 19.