February 16, 2007

Snow, Snow Everywhere and Not a Drop To Drink



Is there anything more disgusting in New York City in winter time than left over snow? I went for a walk yesterday around Astoria just because sometimes you feel like taking a walk. Every street corner was puddled with dirty, mushy, brown water and/or grey slush. Most of the sidewalks have been reduced to narrow trails through dirty icy snowed-over pavement. But I was determined. I walked up 30th Avenue, across Steinway and down Broadway until I got home. I estimate the walk to be either a mile or almost a mile. But it felt like an incredibly long walk.

On the way back I stopped at Parisi Bros. to get some butter cookies. I bought a pound. Yummy.

Later in the day, I made a beautiful tomato sauce from scratch. I pulverized 10 plum tomatoes in my handy dandy Cuisinart blender and poured them over some sweet Italian sausage that I had sauteed with onions, peppers and mushrooms.

Whole wheat pasta is my latest obsession. Did you know that it's twice as filling as regular pasta and twice as healthy? Every winter I fall into that trap of eating lots of carbs. It's difficult to completely avoid them and not at all necessary but I did decide to replace unhealthy carbs with healthier choices. White rice is brown rice. White bread is wheat bread. Pasta - well you get it.

To make a short story long, the sauce ended up being delicious with the pasta.

No comments: